Bridge Seating (was Re: Where to notch a bridge, & relative effects ????? (Advice sought)

Ric Brekne ricbrek at broadpark.no
Wed Sep 13 02:44:14 MDT 2006

Hi Joe, et al

 I agree. Its really very simple.  If the string is off the bridge and
the bridge presents positve bearing.. then the strings need to get
*gently* set into place. Its easy enough to confirm this condition can
exist in a variety of ways and I really dont see any reason to deny this
myself.

And as you say... the nudge needed to do the job is exactly that ... a
nudge. If the string doesnt go down with that then its already down and
theres no harm done... not with a nudge anyways. As in all things...
moderation in appropriate degree is the key.

Ric B

    My two cent's worth:

    My take is that the wire on new pianos, however, may need to be
    seated. But
    proceed cautiously. If the wire doesn't move visually, then that
    step in the
    preparation process may have been done, and your ham-handed pounding
    of the
    wire into the bridge cap is not gonna do a blasted thing except
    exacerbate
    false beats, dent the bridge, torque the bridge pins and accelerate
    wear.

    Joseph Alkana RPT