Bridge Seating (was Re: Where to notch a bridge, & relative effects ????? (Advice sought)

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Wed Sep 13 10:45:47 MDT 2006

> I think it's more likely that the "seating" had to do with how the string
> bent around the pin.  Next time try "seating" the string by gently pulling
> or pushing the string toward the pin rather than down toward the bridge.  My
> guess is that you will get the same result as the string bends around the
> pin and makes contact more with the side of the pin rather than toward the
> back of the pin.  That will also move the bridge contact out toward the edge
> of the notch.
>
> David Love

I agree. That curve in the speaking length at bridge and capo
or agraffe adds a different spring characteristic to the
string than just the straight string stretch. The aural effect
is like a less than solid termination, although the
termination itself may be quite solid. An indistinct
distortion or fuzziness to the tone. Pull the string around
the pin and capo to tighten the bend and straighten the
speaking length and the noise goes away. It doesn't require
seating on the bridge cap because it was never off of the cap.

Ron N