Bridge Seating (was Re: Where to notch a bridge, & relative effects ????? (Advice sought)

Ric Brekne ricbrek at broadpark.no
Wed Sep 13 13:37:20 MDT 2006

>/ As others have stated, one cannot disprove an event, that can be observed
/>/ and measured, by failure to explain why or how it occurs.  All that is
/>/ proven is the limits of ones understanding of all of the forces at work.

/

This is in the end correct. But one has to be sure one has actually
observed in an objective enough fashion..  The picture that was just
posted :
 https://www.moypiano.com/ptg/pianotech.php/attachments/20060913/266e9f22/attachment.jpg

is one I've seen before and was intriguing the first time I saw it.
Upon trying this myself I found it was impossible to actually be sure of
what angle the long center pin wire I used really had in the groove.  So
instead I checked by drawing a piece of 16 lb fishing line from the
tuning pin under the capo (sometimes agraffe) and through the bridge
pins instead of the string.  A magnfying glass is all that is needed to
see if there was any real gap.  Fishing line being so flexible will mold
itself readily around any curves and yet straighten out in a flash if
there was nothing to curve around.  I found that most of the angles I
was running into on newer instruments showed no sign whatsover of a gap
between the fishing line and the bridge at the pin.  It just wasnt
happening.  I have indeed found pianos where this was the case.  A very
young Hamburg D tragically enough that had been subjected to some very
aggressive string seating with a rounded off screwdriver by all accounts
amoung those.

That was when I started looking at the <<math>> from a little different
angle.  Now here, as far as I can understand is the deal.  If you can
find the highest point of the bridge surface (and that is easy enough to
do) and establish the line from there down to the front termination for
the string and find that at no point does any part of the bridge surface
out to and including the pin and notch is below that line... then there
is simply no way there is a real gap between the string and the bridge
if the string is seated.  If you can draw that same line and find the
same result and find the string does have a gap when you put it on...
its because its not seated.  There is just no way around that simple
truth I can see.  All the denials that this is impossible are simply
lost on me in anycase... because I actually have taken the postulate
serious,  put it to the test... and I find it in error.  Sorry if thats
inconvenient for anyone... but thats how it goes.

The notch can indeed be behind the bridge without the groove necessarily
causing a negative bearing situation. Simple trig and a few drawn
triangles will show that to you in 5 minutes.

Cheers
RicB