BAD, BADD, PIANO

Shawn Brock shawnbrock at fuse.net
Thu Sep 14 11:22:00 MDT 2006

Good people,
I'm hopeing someone can giv my novice behind some advice.  Yesterday I went to service a piano for a new customer.  I was told it was an old Upright from the STAR PIANO COMPANY.  Whin I arrived (got the Library of Congress off the top of the damn thing) opened her up to hav a look, or in my case a feel.  The first thing I saw was the hammer felt was split on probably half of the hammers.  On some it had separated from the molding.  I madee decision the piano could not be properly voiced.  The next thing was the strings.  They were corroded with rust.  So I was afraid to bring the piano up to pitch.  The last thing was the tuning pins, they were so loose I could not believe it.  I made statements to the man of the house about all of these problems.  He told me "do the best you can with it"  So, I tuned.  Was the tuning good?  No way!  But it was better than what they had.  I tuned the temperament three times.  It seemed the piano was just going flat each time.  After about 2 hours I stood up and said, this is all I can do with it.  You might want to think about a new piano.  Yes yes we are he tells me.  We know this one is about gone.  I tell the old boy, theirs no about to it.  It is!  I collected my money, and out the door I went.  I left my card with them, and stated to giv me a call if they needed anyone to help them find a new piano, or someone to look at a piano for them.  After getting home some 8 hours later I got a call from the man of the house.  He told me that now the piano sounded worse than it did before it was tuned.  What do you all think of that?  Should I go back and try it again free of charge?  Should I forget about it?  I should have never taken the job in the first place right?  Well I have a driver to pay, I came 25 miles out of my way, I have told them i just dont know how this will work out.  The piano has a lot of problems.  So I did the job...  And now...
Shawn Brock
Cincinnati Sound Lab
130 East Sixth Street
Cincinnati Oh.