"I have access to the best minds...": was BAD, BADD, PIANO

Jason Kanter jkanter at rollingball.com
Thu Sep 14 17:55:12 MDT 2006

Robin Blankenship said: "One thing that you might consider communicating to
either this or future customers that have difficult pianos for you is that
you have very quick and firm access to some of the very best minds in your
profession through this list."

Good point, worth doing. But: I have had a bit of a stumbling block in
talking to most people about this: simply how to describe the list! By far
the great majority of people, even the internet-savvy, do not readily
comprehend what is meant by a "list." If I speak without considering my
audience, what comes out is something like "I'm a member of an online list
of piano technicians" and they visualize some kind of printed list, like a
membership list - nothing like what we want to convey! - which is basically:
if I encounter an interesting technical problem, I can post a question about
it and within a day I will probably have half a dozen expert responses. This
explanation is hampered by the word "list." How can we quickly describe what
this is - this cyberspace gathering of great technicians, this watering hole
regularly visited by many highly esteemed individuals from all over the USA
and Canada, England, France, Netherlands, Norway, Australia, people willing
and eager to help share their expertise. But instead of conveying this, I
often find myself trying to describe what a "list" is - automated mailing of
emails to everyone on the list, yadda yadda yawn.

Has anyone out there a great way to explain what a phenomenal resource we
have? Some analogy as powerful as "it's like tuning forty guitars"?