J. Delacour Piano

John Delacour JD at Pianomaker.co.uk
Fri Sep 15 03:21:32 MDT 2006

At 10:42 am +0200 15/9/06, Ric Brekne wrote:

>I thought the sound was quite interesting... Definitely not the
>sound we are accustomed too... but pleasing anyways.

The highly compressed MP3 format gives only a partial impression of
the sound.  No professional musician or piano tuner who has played it
has been able to tell it doesn't have a normal soundboard.  A few of
the comments I have had from professionals are:

It sounds like a piano a foot longer.
You don't expect so much power in a 5'2" piano
It's frighteningly easy to tune
The attack is wonderful
It's taking me a while to get used to this sustain
Steinway would kill for a treble like that!
The treble reminds me of a really good Steinway.

>In a conservative piano world ... I wonder how easy it will be to
>sell this to the market ?  Perhaps if the thing is far more stable
>tuning wize he may have some leverage.  Otherwise, it may be
>difficult for him

It is indeed very stable, and that is in spite of the fact that I
took less pains in the construction than I might have done if it had
not been intended merely as a proof of concept.  I had originally not
intended even to do a full action and keyboard rebuild, except for
new hammers.  In the event it was so successful that it would have
been a shame to keep it merely as a rough demo. For the same reason I
also used the original bridges, which give a string scale I would not
myself have designed.  The next job will be a 6'9" piano made to far
lower tolerances and with an excellent scale, which will be directly
comparable to another piano rebuilt with the original (perfect)
soundboard.

JD