yamaha butt flange repair

Ric Brekne ricbrek at broadpark.no
Sat Sep 16 01:11:55 MDT 2006

Hi Rick

I see you've got a lot of answers in and no doubt someones already
supplied you with a good solution.  Just thought I'd throw in that
replacing the silk threads is a really easy job and if thats all thats
failing the flanges I'd have replaced those and re-installed the
origionals.  The cost of new parts and the amount of work needed to fit
them often pans out as in your example.

I re-machined a set of new Steinway hammer flanges about a year back
because the centerpin line was 1 mm farther out on the new ones then the
origionals... and I can not find a source for new flanges of origional
dimensions.  All the work involved in that really ended up not being
worth my time.  The older O I just got finished with had the same
problem.  I found it much quicker to use the origional flanges
installing new drop screws.

I get the feeling a lot of folks opt for putting in brand new parts when
the old ones can be rebushed or refurbished without much work thinking
they are going to save all kinds of time... and it isnt necessarily so.
Course many times its more then appropriate to opt for new parts as
well.  But  sometimes perhaps it might be just as well or better to use
the old ones.

Just my 2 cents
RicB