yamaha butt flange repair

TOM DRISCOLL tomtuner at verizon.net
Sat Sep 16 06:15:29 MDT 2006

  Sent: Friday, September 15, 2006 9:27 PM
  Subject: RE: yamaha butt flange repair

  Yes, I've read the archives, but felt it would be easier to go with new flanges. Still have the old flanges,and new silk,but don't want to take a total bath on the job.

    Richard,
        I understand the problem,and once the old flanges are off the rail, the cord replacement method loses it's appeal.
        So what now? I would work with the parts you have already installed, unless the end result is not to standard. Another disadvantage of replacing the flanges is the traveling issue. Yamaha rails and flanges will need less attention than others, but it is difficult to travel the flanges with the damper levers in place.
         Doing the job over with the old flanges is not the end of the world.
    Chalk it up to learning and forget the profit.
    One of our more famous rebuilders related a story where he had to replace a new soundboard when a design experiment failed--Think about that one!
        This is really a simple job--untill you get to where you are now.
        Best wishes,
        Tom Driscoll