Disklavier problem

Mark Wisner mwisner at earthlink.net
Sat Sep 16 21:37:52 MDT 2006

On most version of Disklaviers you can get to the FDD test by powering up the control unit while holding the "L" & "R" button down.  The screen will read "Test Mode".  Push the "+" button once, the screen should read "Test Mode Control Sheet".  Push the song select (FF) button until the screen reads "FF Read Write Test".  Tell the customer to put in a new, blank floppy disk and see if it tests OK.   If it doesn't pass, try the test again with another floppy.  If it still won't successfully complete the test I'd go out there with a new FDD from Yamaha.
Some of the earlier Disklaviers (wagon grand, MX100A,B, and the Mark II) only read DDD, not HDD.  Make sure they are using the appropriate density disk for their model.

Mark Wisner