A few other temperament questions

Jason Kanter jkanter at rollingball.com
Mon Sep 18 21:36:29 MDT 2006

Let's take the Vallotti as an example.

The rollingball chart shows the sizes of the intervals as red, blue, green columns, and lists the offsets below each column. For the Vallotti, the offsets from ET are listed as
    C +5.87
    G +3.91
    D +1.96
    A    0.00
    etc. to F +7.82
    and then C +5.87 again,
because every C on the piano is tuned 5.87 cents sharp.

In your ETD of choice, you would enter those offsets. Note, the offsets on the charts are listed in the order of the circle of fifths. The ETD will want them in chromatic sequence, which I did not provide on the charts, so double-check when you copy them in order ... easy to transpose two numbers and screw the whole temperament.

Now: notice the offset for A is 0; this is in order to preserve A=440. However, the cumulative effect of the Vallotti is to raise tension an average of 1.96 cents per note. So if you want to "zero out the tension" ... i.e. fool the soundboard into thinking that nothing has really changed, perhaps preserving tuning stability ... you would then "add -1.96" (or subtract 1.96) from each of the offsets, i.e. tune C at +3.91, G at +1.95, D at 0.00, A at -1.96 cents, etc.

If you want to do these by aural methods, (and they are generally easier than ET by a long shot), you have to look elsewhere for the tuning instructions - I did not include them on my website. (I mention this possibility because you ask if you would tune an F-F temperament.)

Hope this helps. One of these days I will update the site, add chromatic lists of the offsets, maybe add bearing instructions for selected temperaments, add the Lehman Bach (which has two humps!), yadda yadda. Ask if more questions.

Jason