Tension hammers

David Ilvedson ilvey at sbcglobal.net
Tue Sep 19 13:21:50 MDT 2006

List,

We know on most hammers we need to open up the lower shoulders to open up the tone.   At Yamaha one of the teachers called it bringing the tone above the strings.   That really opened my ears as I heard happen.   Question.   Is Ronsen Wurzen, Steinway hammers...so-called low heat pressed hammers not need this opening up of the shoulders as much?   Maybe some explanations and examples of tension hammers...

David Ilvedson, RPT
Pacifica, CA 94044