hammer travel

Overs Pianos sec at overspianos.com.au
Tue Sep 19 16:14:29 MDT 2006

>Hi Ron,
>
>What is flange packing and hammer casting?   I'm guessing traveling
>a flange with paper and heating and twisting the shank?

That's it. There have been some excellent posts on this topic,
including Frank's and Ed's.

>We all remember those pictures of piano factorys with the alcohol
>lamp on the stretcher?  They traveling the hammers...

Yes, and we still use an alcohol lamp for the purpose. The alcohol
flame is a little cooler than the newer gas lamps, which makes it a
little easier to raise the shank to casting temperature without
scorching the wood.

Ron O.

--
OVERS PIANOS - SYDNEY