softening crusty dampers

Conrad Hoffsommer hoffsoco at luther.edu
Wed Sep 20 09:06:05 MDT 2006

At 10:31 AM 9/20/2006 -0400, you wrote:
>Barbara,
>
>To which surface do you apply the needle(s)??? I've seen it done going in
>from the end the damper and very gently separating the fibers. I'm guess
>that in this case, doing both sanding and needling will be necessary, if
>not chemical treatment.
>
>Robin

I seem to be outnumbered by those recommending this or that softening
technique, and all the alternate suggestions have their merit (having tried
most, over the years) but, at least in this institutional setting, the only
permanent (errrr...  longest lasting) solution is replacement.

Just as beauty is only skin deep, but ugly goes clear to the bone, and
similar to trying to rinse out $&$ vertigris, the crust _will_ reassert
itself.

Conrad Hoffsommer - Keyboard Technician
1-(563)-387-1204 // Fax 1-(563)-387-1076

- Right now, I'm hoping to live until my age matches my golf score,
- Until then, I'll have to be content to have my IQ match my handicap.