Wurlitzer Damper Springs

KeyKat88 at aol.com KeyKat88 at aol.com
Thu Sep 21 12:23:53 MDT 2006

Greetings,

           I had a customer this morning that has a Wurly console and a good
majority of the bass strings havw extraneous ringing problems. When I press on
the string to see if the damper follows or "hugs" the string most do not
follow. I am thinkng this piano needs new damper springs.

      Question: Would it be easier to replace merely the springs or should I
replace the whole damper lever and remount and adjust the heads/felts?
or....is there a quick fix that would effectively solve the problem and buy more
time? What would be the most cost effective? Do they even make damper levers to
fit this piano anymore? The bridges look  decent, (hardly any / minimal
splitting), action parts look good, not dried out, strings are not rusty and the
tuning pins are tight. I think it is worth fixing the problem.

Thanks in advance,
Julia Gottshall
Reading, PA