Unheard-of adventure in noise

Geoff Sykes thetuner at ivories52.com
Thu Sep 21 17:56:38 MDT 2006

I had a tuning this afternoon at a very large church for a three day event
in the main chapel. The place was huge enough that there was even a sound
and light booth at the back. While I'm tuning there are also some workmen
hanging stage lights and screens. Not a problem for me. When they raise
their large aluminum ladders it goes clackity-clack for a couple of seconds
and then I'm fine. About halfway through the tuning the sound guy arrives
and, without asking me, he tells the workmen they have to stop what they are
doing because they are disturbing the piano tuner, (me?). Quite frankly I
found all the talking and discussion a lot more disturbing than the
intermittent noise they were making. I assured everyone that the noise was
not bothering me, which only fueled their discussion for a little while
longer. Since I continued to tune away I think they eventually realized that
they were not bothering me after all, but I don't thing the sound guy liked
not having his way to make it quiet for me. First time I have ever had a
stage tech going out of his way to make my work easy. Will probably never
happen again so I thought I would share it.

-- Geoff Sykes
-- Assoc. Los Angeles