Traveling with tools

Delwin D Fandrich fandrich at pianobuilders.com
Fri Sep 22 12:38:50 MDT 2006

I've been traveling with tools for some time now. Anything I deem questionable I
pack in checked luggage. Fortunately I've not had a bag lost in some time. A
couple of times my bag has been looked through but no tools have gone missing.
So far, so good.

I usually carry my (metric) measuring tools in my carry-on bag. I've had the TSA
worker at the x-ray tunnel question my Mitutoyo digital caliper (the sharp
inside measuring tips bothered her) but the supervisor cleared them. I've also
had my metric rules questioned, but apparently they are dull enough that, again,
the supervisor cleared them.

I don't know what I'll do this next trip. Until the rules settle down I may just
check everything and hope for the best. As I said, it's been a while since one
of my bags went to Tokyo as I went to Cleveland.

Which is not to say it might not happen next time. I think if I were carrying
something really valuable that I thought might not make it past TSA, I'd
probably send it FedEx or UPS.

Del

  _____