Traveling with tools

Horace Greeley hgreeley at stanford.edu
Fri Sep 22 16:04:21 MDT 2006

Quoting PAULREVENKOJONES at aol.com:

Hi, Paul,

> In a message dated 9/22/2006 1:39:50 PM Central Daylight Time,
> fandrich at pianobuilders.com writes:
>
> Do you know whether it is adviseable to lock a toolbox for checking as
> baggage. I would rather keep the box locked than have it accidentally
> open and spill
> tools and parts. But do the airlines wish to have access to the
> container?

While you can lock the case, you must use a TSA (Transportation Safety
Agency) approved lock...which allows TSA officers to open and search the
contents of your luggage and then to relock it.

I travel both with tools checked as luggage and sending them separately via
FedEx or UPS.  While I have never lost anything (yet), I prefer the
FedEx/UPS method because you can lock your case and have some reasonable
assurance that it will not be pawed through.  I have had my case opened on
virtually every flight and, every time, things are moved around.  With the
FedEx/UPS shipment, I use a now very worn Anvil attache case with my tools
in tightly wrapped rolls which are then tightly packed into the case and
the  hasp on the case locked.  You can insure the contents for loss (right,
my 40 year old Hale hammer...).   The additional cost/etc can be built into
the charges for the work contracted.  If someone can afford to pay for you
to fly someplace to work for them, they can afford the freight on the
tools.

All of that said, though, I drive wherever even marginally reasonable rather
than fly.  Air travel used to be fun.  My last air-based trip to SoCal from
SF took a total of nearly 8 hours, from leaving my house to get to the
airport, flying, etc....as opposed to the (roughly) six it takes me to
drive the same distance...and, I didn't get to choose the music...feh!

FWIW, it's much worse for musicians.  Imagine having to check your $200K (+)
fiddle because the case "might" be carrying something else.  ("Would your
Guarneri care for a soda, Sir?")

Best.

Horace