keylead hole filler

Ric Brekne ricbrek at broadpark.no
Mon Sep 25 10:03:19 MDT 2006

Hey Joe

I'm not sure I understand this post either.  Nothings wrong with using
spruce to fill the holes... and as far as I can see nothings wrong with
filling with epoxy putty either.  I suppose it comes down to what you
are most comfortable with.  For my part... I find the epoxy quick and
neat... but I do tend to use a lot of dem plastic working gloves.  I've
seen both types of repair jobs botched myself... and botched a fair deal
myself in younger years... not having the benifit of having gone to any
school for any of this back then.  That said... you can do it right both
ways... and if its done right either way.. then it shouldnt present a
problem for anyone.... me thinks :)

Cheers there Joe

RicB

---------------
And then you run into a piano that has Turbo-Wippens that were retro'd
and all the leads have been taken out and the darned thing has 60+ grams
throughout the piano! (all the way up to note 88!!!!Yikes!) In this case
I'm thankful that the old holes were plugged with spruce. (What the heck
is wrong with plugging with the proper wood? as in Sugar Pine?????) I'll
be reweighing the piano and inserting lead where needed and get the
darned thing into reasonable specs. My only thought is: did the last
tech glue the plugs in or did he just press fit them. (Yes, I have seen
that! grrrr!) i.e. I think it is best to plug the holes with wood plugs
and glue them in so that if, on the oft-chance there needs to be some
more leading, it will not be a world war III to get the job done.<G>
Regards,

Joseph Garrett, R.P.T.
Captain, Tool Police
Squares R I