Bass String problem

Joseph Garrett joegarrett at earthlink.net
Mon Sep 25 10:29:49 MDT 2006

David Nereson said: "
Had a string break in the low tenor during a pitch
raise on a 1983 Everett console. Decided to put on a universal
string and leave it if it sounded OK. (Would order custom
string if it didn?t). Measured the string on the tapered slot
gauge and it said # 8, so that?s what I put on. Wouldn?t pull
up to pitch ? it broke. Have only had that happen maybe twice
in 25 years. Brand new strings can usually be pulled way over
pitch and still not break. So tried a # 8 ? instead, thinking
it?s meant to be at a higher pitch than the # 8. Nope, it broke
too!

Now, the winding on the original string is aluminum
or nickel (I assume), not copper, but should that matter? It?s
the core wire that holds the tension, right? I measured them
all when I got home and the original string?s core wire is .037?
, the # 8 measured .039?, and the # 8 ? measured .038?, I
believe. Shouldn?t that be close enough? Should I go back and
try a # 9?

I?m going to send in the original and have a custom
string made, but I?m wondering why the universals broke way
before they were up to pitch. No, I didn?t see any burrs, etc.
on the upper plate bearing, pressure bar, etc.

--David,
You'll need to run that on a scale evaluation program. I don't have time to calc that, but you can be sure that there is a wide variance between copper/silnic/aluminum tensions. The aluminum wrap thingee is an "Edsel Idea" IMO. I doubt that you can even get a "replacement" made, so you'll need to evaluate the scale and come up with a suitable "rescale". That's one I haven't done, yet. I'll be happy to do that for you, if you don't have either Scale Master or PScale to do the calcing.
Regards,

Joseph Garrett, R.P.T.
Captain, Tool Police
Squares R I