action reg puzzler on M & H BB

Mark Potter bases-loaded76 at sbcglobal.net
Mon Sep 25 16:55:43 MDT 2006

List -

  The many suggestions for this problem are greatly appreciated!  I just got back in and plan to sneak in an hour or so in the shop tonite to pursue some of these suggestions.  I can say outright that pulley keys are not the problem, nor is the backcheck loose in the key, and they are certainly good suggestions, but ones I had already ruled out.  The aftertouch is even thruout, and only these 3 keys act up, so I don't know about that either, although I will certainly mess with it. The jack is properly set in the window to just kiss the knuckle at rest (and I did introduce some lost motion in the process of tracking this down, but it didn't help), and there is no sign whatsoever of sluggishness from the jack that I can detect on the bench.  The best I can tell in the piano, even when the key jams (hammer caught on the backcheck on its way up) the jack does seem to be under the knuckle and trying to push it up.  I like Ed F's suggestion to change out a wippen to aid in the
 diagnosis, and Ed S's suggestion to add a bit of felt to the rest cushion.  I never thought to check the way the spring interacts with the insertion point of the jack, since the jack doesn't SEEM to bind.  I'll check it now, though.  Small steps for mankind...

  I will report any progress or lack thereof.  Thanks again for the suggestions!

  Mark Potter