Lost motion--was puzzler....

Joseph Garrett joegarrett at earthlink.net
Mon Sep 25 21:08:28 MDT 2006

Dave said: "I've done it the Steinway/N. Bennett Street way too and prefer it. For one thing, I have a hard time determining a "hair's thickness" when there is a gap (hopefully) between the jack and the rep window. The Yamaha way also assumes pristine knuckles. Sometimes with worn knuckles the jack has to be higher than the repetition lever to compensate for the dent in the knuckle."

dave,
I heartily agree with all of that. While reading that, it flashed on me, that, IF the knuckle leather is loose on the core felt, it will be very inconsistant. Since in consistancy seems to be the issue, I'd certainly check it. If it is loose, or "sqirmy", I'd take on side loose and reglue it so that the leather is taut.
Just a thought.
Regards,

Joseph Garrett, R.P.T.
Captain, Tool Police