bass string problem

Michael Spalding spalding48 at earthlink.net
Tue Sep 26 07:41:22 MDT 2006

David,

Here's what P-Scale says about those numbers:

With copper winding, you would have a tendsion of 370#, well beyond the capability of the .0365 core.

Diameter over the windings should be in the range of .042 to .050.  At .048, you'd have a tension of 180#.

Core diameter should be .034 or greater, to have sufficient breaking strength.

Obviously, the larger the core, and the smaller the diameter over windings, the smaller your wrap wire.  As Ron O pointed out a couple days ago, it's not easy to wind small diameters.

hope this helps,

Mike