Setting Historic Temperaments question

Joseph Garrett joegarrett at earthlink.net
Tue Sep 26 08:55:18 MDT 2006

KeyKat said: "In tuning E.T., I always start tuning by setting F3 to F4 octave as
temperament. On each piano the F3 to A3, 7 BPS, is different some pianos
require "faster" 7 BPS some "slower" 7BPS. Now if this is true that different
pianos require different beats for setting the temperaments, then I presume the
same is true for setting historic temperaments."

For this reason, I believe that "historic temperaments" are NOT the same on a modern instrument. The old/ancient instruments had far less tension, thus giving an entirely different enharmonic spectrum. There was a plethora of inconsistancy to these instruments. This, I believe, was part of the "search" for an adequate temperament, i.e. so many different ones were "tried".<G>
If one, truly, wishes to hear how a specific temperament sounds, I believe it has to be done on an Historic piano or a good replica therein. Some pianos, such as the dreaded "over-damper uprights"<G>, will give you that "sound" IMO..
To me, historic temperaments on a modern piano is like putting lipstick on a pig.
Just my inflated $ opinion. Flack suit, (new model), zipped up tight.

Joseph Garrett, R.P.T.
Captain, Tool Police
Squares R I