Steinway Sostenuto

Porritt, David dporritt at mail.smu.edu
Tue Sep 26 15:44:40 MDT 2006

Bend the brackets up.  They're too low.

dp

__________________________
David M. Porritt, RPT
Meadows School of the Arts
Southern Methodist University
Dallas, TX 75275
dporritt at smu.edu

________________________________

From: pianotech-bounces at ptg.org on behalf of John R. Granholm
Sent: Tue 9/26/2006 3:25 PM
To: Pianotech List
Subject: Steinway Sostenuto

List--

I have a sostenuto regulation problem with a 1953 Steinway D.
Depressing the sostenuto pedal with no keys down lifts about half a
dozen dampers in the tenor and treble sections.  The adjustable brass
hangers which allow the sostenuto rod to be moved back and forth are
set all the way back (away from the lifter tabs) in tenor and treble,
and these few dampers still come up.  The bass end of the rod has
some adjustment room left and works fine.

I know I could shift the action forward a bit, but I hesitate to do
that and alter the striking point.  The lifter tabs in the back
action look fine to me, nothing out of whack.  I've considered
reaming out more space in the slots in the brass hangers to allow the
lifter rod to move a bit further back, but I wonder if I'm missing
something.

If it matters, the action on this piano was rebuilt with Renner parts
about 6 years ago.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

John Granholm RPT