Alilied Tradesman

Ric Brekne ricbrek at broadpark.no
Thu Sep 28 09:45:13 MDT 2006

I think the main thrust of the problem is that the PTG has never been
able to really resolve its role.  On the one hand it wishes to be an
organization of proffesional piano tuner/technicians with the accent on
"tuner".  The PTG  can seemingly easily accept the idea of a tuner with
limited technicians abilities... but a tech with out the ability to
tune.... well  that just doesnt quite fit if you get my meaning.

On the other hand... the PTG DOES want to be inclusive and sees the
value and neccessities in including both allied proffesionals and folks
who are more or less apprentices or students of the trade.

The problem is and probably will remain that the PTG has no possibility
of being a trade union per se.  At best, given the fact that it is not a
regulated industry, it can function as an association of proffesionals
and amatures... i.e. people interested in the trade.  As long as that
fact remains, the PTG's hands are somewhat ties with respect to the
degree it can certify technicians.  And as long as that is the case
associates can often rightly claim the RPT status is not worth the paper
its written on so why bother.  That of course is breeding grounds for
passionate positioning for all involved.  The PTG wants to project its
self to the public as an organization that can provide a stamp of
quality.... yet it is forced to accept a somewhat different reality.
How to resolve the inbuilt conflicting interests is evidently no easy
task. The latest attempt seems to be to allow only RPT's to use the PTG
logo as part of their advertising.  Associates dont appreciate this ...
and its pretty hard to enforce anyways....

For my part....  I just encourage folks to keep learning... seems to be
the best you can do.  And indeed... the very very best of the PTG IMVHO
goes along those same lines and is expressed by the many seminars and
conventions held each year.

Cheers
RicB