Caster repair

Michelle Smith michelle at cdaustin.com
Thu Sep 28 14:35:55 MDT 2006

Hi all.  Newbie here with her first caster repair.  I'm having a hard time
finding good information in the books.  The piano is a 1908 Steinway.  The
front two wheels are in tact.  The back right still has the socket but is
missing the wheel.  The back left just has the hole.  Questions:

Do I have to use the Steinway style casters that are listed in the Schaff
catalog or would something less expensive work as well?

Do I need the wood caster bushings to take up space in the hole?

What's the procedure for removal and replacement?

Is it imperative that I borrow a piano truck from a friend or can a couple
of strong men lay the piano back?

What else have I not thought about yet?

Thanks for your help and patience!  =)

Michelle Smith