Caster repair

John Ross jrpiano at win.eastlink.ca
Thu Sep 28 15:09:56 MDT 2006

I usually just install the double wheel rubber casters.

The plate type gives you less of a hassle for fitting, but you would probably be higher off the floor.

If you replace with the socket kind, sometimes the wooden bushing supplied is too small, so you have to shim it out. Or have an assortment, premade if you have a lathe.

The main problem then, is that the hole is not large enough to allow free rotation, so you have to router a larger cavity. I have tried to figure out a better method, rather than a router. I tried a power file. I was thinking on a Roto-Zip or hole saw, but haven't tried them yet.

What is the preferred method of enlarging the cavity???

I would think a piano tilter is the way to go.

 It has been one of the best investments, that I made.
They are great for restringing, application of C/A, repair of pedals, and bottom boards.

John M. Ross
Windsor, Nova Scotia, Canada
jrpiano at win.eastlink.ca