Call for scaling spreadsheets

David Love davidlovepianos at comcast.net
Fri Sep 29 11:17:32 MDT 2006

I suppose I should have qualified my response.  In extreme cases where the
diameter has to compensate too much for length to achieve appropriate
tension, the inharmonicity of a single string might be a factor.  However,
often that happens because core wire dimensions are too high, not because
outer wraps are.  How that contributes to the timbral balance (strength of
each partial) is probably more important than the inharmonicity itself.  In
the case of low tenor, the problem is more related to lower tensions and
accompanying higher inharmonicity than simply inharmonicity by itself.  In
the low bass, by lowering the core wire diameter and using double wraps
(especially in the monochords) the strength of the fundamental can be
increased and the unpleasant jangle of the upper partials can be
lessoned--soundboard design notwithstanding.  Pitch recognition of the
fundamental (a problem in the lowest monochords of many pianos) can be
increased and overall tone quality improved.  In the tenor, transition
bridges (best) or adding wrapped strings (next best) can help solve the
problem by increasing tension, lowering inharmonicity and improving the
balance of partials.

Lower inharmonicity associated with higher tension scales does produce a
less pleasing tone to my ear but a more powerful one evidenced by many 9
foot scales and many Japanese pianos.  I've not encountered a string with
such low inharmonicity that it becomes "unpianolike" per se.  Not likely
that you could achieve that too easily and stay within break point
restrictions, it seems to me.

In general, however, the ear does not perceive inharmonicity by itself and I
would be cautious about putting more weight on a smooth inharmonicity curve
at the expense of, say, a smooth transition of tensions between and within
sections.

David Love
davidlovepianos at comcast.net
www.davidlovepianos.com