Call for scaling spreadsheets

Ric Brekne ricbrek at broadpark.no
Fri Sep 29 11:33:58 MDT 2006

Hi Stéphane

This is interesting.  I hadnt thought along the lines of overall
projection being linked to overall inharmonicity.  Yet some of the
tuning discussions we've had through the years here are perhaps not too
far removed from that kind of thinking.  For example it is ofte times
mentioned that stretching the top more then is up front comfortable can
result in better projection through a large hall.

I'd like to hear more of your thinking about along these lines.

Cheers
RicB

     Sure.  But when I meant projection, I didn't mean loudness.  You have
    pianos that sound very loud at 1 or 2 meters around them, but the
    loudness
    decreases rapidly with the distance.  Others (I have a particular and
    amazing straight strung 1873 Bechstein in mind) seem to have some
    obscure
    acoustic feature that makes them carry their sound way farther
    effortless, a
    bit like some venues acoustics (I think of the Concertgebouw in
    Amsterdam,
    Netherlands,  here) where at the very back of the place, you still
    hear the
    tongues in the throats of the singers.  I believe this has to do with
    inharmonicity, not only with loudness.  Harmonic sounds can (do)
    cancel each
    other.

    What do you think ?

    Stéphane Collin.