Call for scaling spreadsheets

Ric Brekne ricbrek at broadpark.no
Fri Sep 29 11:29:53 MDT 2006

Hey Joe

Again... I've just started dipping into the rescaling world..  but one
thing seems apparent at the get go.  Whatever scale was origionally
designed had to fit a soundboard and rim design. I've heard it said that
one starts with what one thinks is a good stringing scale... and build
the piano around it to match as best as possible.

So..... I suppose if I were to venture an answer to the question you
pose it would be a conditional yes.  But if the piano otherwise was a
complete mismatch to the scale....well I dont see how you could get
around that unless you re-designed something or another.

I think tho... you are sort of asking... if you had a decent piano and a
set of bass strings that are workable for it, can  you fix the rest of
the scale to match.  I'm gonna have to bow to guys who know far more
then me on that one.... but I would like to hear the reasoning back and
forth as to why and/or whynot.

Cheers
RicB

Hi Ric,
I guess my question that started this great discussion was really can one
start with a given ( the bass strings ) and produce a scale that will
compliment them.
Joe Goss RPT
Mother Goose Tools