Fox Piano Co.

Marshall Connolly falcone1132 at tmlp.com
Sat Sep 30 01:19:21 MDT 2006

Jay:

It seems that it is quite possible that it was either Aeolian, or another
manufacturer of stencil pianos.  I encountered another "fluke" the other
day.  It was a grand that had a plate bolted down to a "universal" plate
which, like everything else screamed Everett about the piano.  Although it
was a C. C. Harvey, less the decal and added plate denotation, this piano
was an Everett through and through.  Plate, stringing, action, cabinet
design, and EVERYTHING was Everett (circa. 1935-1939) and probably the first
C.C. Harvey grand (among many marginal uprights & players) that I have
encountered in 25 years!

Stencils weren't always as horrible as we expect.  It was my experience that
this was the BEST C.C. Harvey that I had ever encountered.  In a situation
such as yours, I would look for other defining characteristics of the piano
(case, scale, action, etc.) to help you determine the actual manufacturer.
You might even enjoy the research and have a "quaint and unique" story about
the history that will endear the owner even more.  I've never heard of the
name (though C.C. Harvey has a one-line listing with NO info.) FOX Piano--
perhaps it was built for a furniture store or something?  Perhaps it was a
stencil for a piano dealer in the city and state listed- or even a music
store.

Whew, I guess that is what makes our work interesting!

Regards,

Marshall Connolly
Connolly's Center for Piano Wellness
New Bedford, MA