Steinway hammer voicing

Horace Greeley hgreeley at stanford.edu
Fri Sep 29 18:53:49 MDT 2006

At 04:46 PM 9/29/2006, you wrote:
>Ed,
>"Bloom" is what I'm looking for.  I'd like more sustain than a
>precisely tuned brick.

If the hammers are all that hard, I suspect that "precise" tuning is
not really possible, either.

>If crown needling between the grooves doesn't get me any "bloom" are
>we talking replacement hammers, acetone wash or what?

Crown needling will only exacerbate the problem.  Whether or not
acetone is the right way to go will depend on what might have been
used to harden the hammers to begin with.  Are there any tell-tale
signs of one kind of hardener v. another?  What have you tried
already?  What kind of shape are the hammers in ?...worn?...fairly
new?...are they reasonably well-shaped to begin with?...or, would you
simply be trying to make the proverbial silk purse?  More information, please.

Whether or not you need new hammers may well depend upon budget as
anything else.

Best.

Horace