Steinway hammer voicing

A440A at aol.com A440A at aol.com
Fri Sep 29 20:26:25 MDT 2006

Andrew writes:

<< If crown needling between the grooves doesn't get me any "bloom" are
we talking replacement hammers, acetone wash or what? >>

     There are several things to try before replacing them.  A soaking with
acetone might move whatever hardener away from the center of the hammer, but it
is hard to tell. (if shellac were used, acetone will not do anything).   I
would be inclined to try steam.  I did this last week to a stage piano that had
sufficient hammer weight left, but not flexibility.
     I use a 1" wide strip of old flannel bedsheet.  I soak it in water and
squeeze it out as hard as my hand can go.  I then lay it on the shoulders of
the hammers, a section at at time.  One edge of the strip is aligned at about
11:30 on the hammer (viewed from the side as a clockface, crown is 12:00) so
that the strip is never right on crown.  With an iron set on "cotton", I make one
pass along the section, rather rapidly.  There will be a wisp of vapor coming
off the cloth behind the iron.  Then I repeat on the other shoulder.
    The results can be profound and immediate.  You may need to do a light
filing if the felt distorts, and you can repeat it if nothing happens.
good luck,

Ed Foote RPT