Stiffness [was Re: whatever]

Ric Brekne ricbrek at broadpark.no
Sat Sep 30 04:20:16 MDT 2006

Alan, John.

I think John is useing the term Stiffness in the sense most Americans
use for Youngs Modulus.  In anycase.. Fandrich gives the following
formula for String stiffness.. the reason I bring it in is that it looks
like somethings wrong here....  He lists identical values for the K and
Y.  What am I missing ? Alan, your response to David is in line with
what I understand as well.  McMorrow makes an indirect point of this as
part of his justification for the very thin V profile.  Davids ensuing
reply was more or less carboned from page 6 of Fandrichs handout and of
course is sensable enough.  But we were talking about the direct
relationship between tension and inharmonicity in the earlier context.

J =(Pi^2Yd^2kL^2K) /32 )

Where:
K is 1.9 * 10^11 N/m^2
k is a numerical constant
Y is Youngs Modulus
L i Length
d is diameter (in mm)

Alan writes:
 >We've all been led to believe that inharmonicity is caused by the
stiffness
 >of the wire; hence if the tension increases, surely the stiffness
increases.

John D responds:
The stiffness of a wire of a certain material is constant and
independent of tension.

JD