A metallic sound from bridge pin/string?

Ric Brekne ricbrek at broadpark.no
Fri Sep 29 11:40:00 MDT 2006

Hi David

The Bohemia small grands I've run into all have lots of voicing
issues... and tuning them is a lot of fun.... (moving target big time).
I've come to suspect the capo termination/front duplex length as the
culprit for most of the zings and zangs they make.  The ones we have are
a few years old now... but all have an insert for the actual
termination. Looks to be some kind of bronze alloy.  I've had to voice
down quite a bit to get reasonable sound qualities from them.  I'll have
to take a pic of one and post it for everyones viewing pleasures.

Anyways... along with everything else suggested... take a gander at the
string leveling and the activity of the front duplex.  Could be your
problem is there.

Cheers
RicB

Hi all,

I serviced a new Bohemia 185 yesterday.  There were many voicing and
tuning issues, most of which were taken care of with tuning, some
lifting, sand paper, a toothbrush (my new answer to a wire brish), and a
small amount of needling.

D#4, however, has a metallic after ring that I couldn't dispose of for
any length of time.  I was able to make it go away for brief periods by
seating the string at the front bridge pin (pushing down, not
whacking!).  After about ten hammer blows, the sound would return.  It
seems that the string wants to return to the position from whence it
came, the spot of the annoying noise.  I tried to lightly tap the pin
with a dowel, but to no avail.

Might this be a situation where a tiny spot of CA might do the trick?

I'd be most grateful for any suggestions.

Dave Stahl