A metallic sound from bridge pin/string?-Ric

piannaman at aol.com piannaman at aol.com
Sat Sep 30 07:01:46 MDT 2006

 Ric,

By trial and error, I found out where the problem is: right at the front bridge pin.  Making it "get out, and stay out!" is the problem.

Muting the front duplex was about the first thing I tried.  I leveled the strings as well.  As I said, the noise doesn't happen on the attack, it's an after-the-fact noise, slightly delayed from the initial envelope of sound.

Funny that you mention the tuning.  This particular piano seemed a bit more difficult to tune than the normal 185.  When I'd finished, I thought it was going to be a very good tuning, but it ended up being mediocre.  Moving target might be a good description.  I'm banking that it will settle down.  In an institutional setting like the one I'm assuming yours are in, these must be challenging to keep on top of.

But I like these pianos overall.  I think they have potential.  They do have voicing needs, though, don't they?

Dave Stahl