Call for scaling spreadsheets

John Delacour JD at Pianomaker.co.uk
Sat Sep 30 05:42:32 MDT 2006

At 3:05 am -0400 30/9/06, Frank Emerson wrote:

>A reasonable target tension is 160psi.

A reasonable tension target is 160 pounds, I am sure you meant to
write, and I would agree.  Not 160 psi.

I also agree that all this talk of rescaling the plain steel scale of
an existing piano is largely nonsense.  The covered string scale can
be greatly changed with advantage on many existing scales but the
only way to "rescale" the plain steel is to rip off the bridge and
fit a new one of the best shape and in the best position, and if the
piano was so ill-designed in the first place it's not going to be
worth the expense of the exercise.

JD