Call for scaling spreadsheets

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Sat Sep 30 09:45:13 MDT 2006

>The covered string scale can be
> greatly changed with advantage on many existing scales but the only way
> to "rescale" the plain steel is to rip off the bridge and fit a new one
> of the best shape and in the best position, and if the piano was so
> ill-designed in the first place it's not going to be worth the expense
> of the exercise.

Not in my experience. Replacing bridges and redesigned string
scales with new soundboards with added cutoffs and new rib
scales, longer back scales, transition bridges, log
progressions across breaks, and silent and functional front
duplexes is becoming more common every year. Just as action
geometry analysis and correction has become commonplace as we
became aware of the need (in ill-designed high-to-mid value
pianos), we who do this work are finding it well worth the
trouble and expense in performance enhancement. The folks for
whom we do it agree.

Ron N