Call for scaling spreadsheets

Frank Emerson pianoguru at earthlink.net
Sat Sep 30 12:20:49 MDT 2006

I probably would not.  Although, I would analyze the existing scale, with
the existing replacement strings.  If I felt I could substantially improve
upon them, I might, but this would probably mean discarding the existing
bass strings entirely.  If I were in the project to make money, I would go
with what I had.  If you are in it for your own edification, by all means,
analyze and modify away.

It wasn't entirely clear if the original scale included wound strings on
the treble bridge, only that there was a replacement set of wound strings.
To add wound strings where there had previously been plain wire, the treble
bridge would have to be at least partially recapped and repinned, not to
mention relocating and adding hitch pins.  This is approaching a level of
design work that is just not practical for a one-off project.

Frank Emerson
pianoguru at earthlink.net

Each