Call for scaling spreadsheets

Leslie Bartlett l-bartlett at sbcglobal.net
Sat Sep 30 15:48:41 MDT 2006

I think if we go back to the origional post in this thread we will see that
we (Jason, myself, and a couple others) were asking for basic spreadsheets
for figuring stringing scales so we could put together an excell file that
could serve as a basis for any interested list members to start learning
about rescaling.

So... if you have an appropriate scaling spreadsheet or commentary that
sticks to this purpose... by all means help out.

Hope this can serve to help steer the discussion back on topic.

Cheers
RicB

	Personally the math and theory on scaling is just mind boggling.
Some of us get forced to do an occasional restringing, and even a rebuild of
some sort.   Many of us KNOW we lack theoretical knowledge to mess with
bridges, bellies, calculating for new downbearings, etc. etc. etc. Ad
Nauseum.  Presumable we, the ignorant should stay away from the domain of
the esoteric experts.   However pragmatics of finances and a lot of other
things puts us everyday technicians in a difficult place. We are asked to DO
WORK on peoples' pianos, and anything which would aid us to be responsible,
not ripping people off, even though we know we will not rise to the heights
of the greatest, would be a tremendous help.   So, if it were possible to
have some basic tool which would allow us to deal with the piano basic
framework as-is, and yet make some modest improvements I would be overjoyed.
les bartlett