Steinway B Scale Conversion

Erwinspiano at aol.com Erwinspiano at aol.com
Sun Apr 1 09:01:05 MDT 2007

David
  THe first tension specs I calculated on note 21 says more like 105  to 110
lbs per string.  Hence the rubber band sound. The  description of the problems
you elaborate on below is a of course the  reason this is done.  Being
conservative though I installed only 4  bichords which to my ears are the worst
offenders to my ears. Boosting the next  two plain wire notes to size 20 also
smoothed the entire effect. It's really a  very sonorous transition. I also chose
to not cut off the bottom of the existing  bridge, in case, later on when the
belly is replaced, & some one else wants  to revert to the original scale,
they can.
  The real proof of the magic is to listen to astute players lay there  hands
on the keys & then comment. It may be a subjective thing but never the  less
a real change.  I also double wrap the mono -chords  on every  Steinway/others
 except C's & D's. Again, to my ear the  fundamental improvement is dramatic.
   As a note on the subjective, Jim Arledge disagrees with  me & I'm good
with that.  I know what my ears are telling me. He did a  beautiful job on the
strings.
 Call me tomorrow I'll give you the lengths
  Dale

I have a B coming  into the shop that I will do the same thing with as the
customer is very  unhappy with the scale transition from tenor to bass.  When
you look at  the scale on that piano you find that note 21 on the original drops
down into  the 125 lb range from upwards of 155-160 higher up in the scale.
No  wonder the bottom of the tenor on a B sounds like rubber bands.  When you
add the high tension leap into the bass, that transition is impossible to
smooth out—voicing can’t solve all problems!  Separating the bass bridge  from
the tenor gives the lower part of the bass bridge more mobility and, when
combined with a bit of rescaling the core dimensions, should enhance the
fundamental down there.  I think this is a good solution.  What are  the new speaking
lengths of notes 21 through 24?

David  Love
davidlovepianos at comcast.net
www.davidlovepianos.com