SV: RE: RE: Re: Steinway B Scale Conversion

Aras aras6310 at yahoo.se
Wed Apr 4 02:48:04 MDT 2007

David,

I totally agree with you.
Since 1987 when the PC became common I have worked with scale calculation and as you say integrating these three elements is very important.

In fact I have never done major changes like powerful boostings, but I have changed most of the grands i have rebuilded, and they are many. At least I smooth out the scale.
I am very carefully in selecting hammers and I buy basstrings from the best stringmaker available, Hellerbass in Germany.
I find it difficult though with brands like Steinway, Bösendorfer and some others because pianists often buy these instruments because they want a specific sound, so who am I to tell them which sound is good or bad?

Another experience I got is that when you analyse scales and look at tensions, IH and so on, you can find instruments that are totally different from each other in sound and size, but look identical in the scale values. For me this means that I must use my experience and remember how different instruments sound, because the scale values are not enough. This is also the reason why I actually dont like to talk about changing of scales. To me and my customers the result is the important point so to judge you must play and listen.
So far I have only have good experiences with scaling, but thats what everybody say, aint it :o)

David Love <davidlovepianos at comcast.net> skrev:                 Just in case I wasn’t clear, the idea of integrating these three elements (scale, soundboard and hammer) is something, the importance of which, Del Fandrich really has impressed upon me and I’ve heard it successfully put into practice many times over the past several years.  While there are clearly choices to be made about what level appeals to us, the idea of integrating the three elements is, in my experience, critical.

    David Love
 davidlovepianos at comcast.net
 www.davidlovepianos.com