SV: Re: Steinway B Scale Conversion

Aras aras6310 at yahoo.se
Mon Apr 2 01:28:20 MDT 2007

This scale was made on demand from a customer who wanted a more powerful bass which they surely got. It was made for more than 10 years ago and not even hard playing pianists have broken any strings. It was an example to show the move of the bass/tenor "breake". Please behave JD, you have no reasons for your ironic arrogant comments.

I find it interesting to see the work some people here do by changing the bridge on the B. The B scale is in terms of scale construction quite old fashioned with the extreme shortening of the speaking lenghts towards the "breake" and low tenor and that is the reason why it is so difficult to voice the piano in that area.
Changing the tenor bridge is a way to smooth out this strange construction. Rather brilliant actually.
What I wanted to say is that you can do a similar thing by changing some of  the low tenor steel with wound strings calculated to fit the old bass and the tenor.
If for some reason the customer or a later customer wants the original it is easy to bring it back.
Personally I do like this grand piano.

John Delacour <JD at pianomaker.co.uk> skrev: At 4:59 pm +0200 1/4/07, Aras wrote:

>If you want to try something before ev changing the bridge, there is
>the possibility of recalculating the string scale and move the
>breake up to A2.
>I have seen this done once in a S&S B and the breake became very
>smooth. I am not to judge if it is better or not. It did sound very
>good but different.

Yes, I love the sound of breaking strings -- it brings me business.
I don't know how long ago you saw this done but I can practically
guarantee that at least half of those strings are now broken and the
rest about to break.

>Here are the steel and cupper measures for the scale. The "new"
>breake from F2 > A2 was changed to 2 strings/chore and the agraffes
>were changed too.
>
>Attachment converted: MacMini:S&S B Bass.doc (WDBN/«IC») (00E2AEBA)

I have never seen such a wildly over-tensioned scale.  Even
Bösendorfer can design a scale to break strings without wasting so
much copper!  If you want a Steinway to sound like a Bösendorfer and
have new strings every week into the bargain, this is the way to go!

JD