Steinway B Scale Conversion

John Delacour JD at Pianomaker.co.uk
Mon Apr 2 11:57:49 MDT 2007

At 9:28 am +0200 2/4/07, Aras wrote:

>This scale was made on demand from a customer who wanted a more
>powerful bass which they surely got. It was made for more than 10
>years ago and not even hard playing pianists have broken any
>strings. It was an example to show the move of the bass/tenor
>"breake". Please behave JD, you have no reasons for your ironic
>arrogant comments.

On the contrary I have every reason, and there is nothing arrogant
about my comments.  Let others calculate the tension of that scale
and see who they think has the more reason.  The lengths for the 20
notes on the bass bridge are printed below.  When I see a bass scale
that requires the wire for the greater part of the scale to operate
at over 80% of the actual breaking strain, as high as 86% for one
note, I know I'm looking at a recipe for disaster.  I am at present
being asked to replace, one by one as they break, the original
singles on a 7' Bšsendorfer that is played for 6 - 8 hours per day by
a young concert pianist and has strings under less strain than yours
but much too tight.  The tuner is sure he is going to break more and
so am I with over 20 years of string-making experience and plenty of
mistakes well behind me.

mm : 151.2, 149.5, 147.8, 146.0, 144.3, 142.0, 139.6, 137.3, 134.9,
132.2, 129.5, 126.7, 124.0, 121.2, 118.3, 115.5, 112.6, 109.7, 106.8,
103.9

JD