Pin moves, pitch doesn't

Richard Morgan rsanbornmorgan at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 2 05:21:24 MDT 2007

On Saturday, I encountered a problem I haven't experienced before.  On two separate pianos, a single tuning pin would turn, but the pitch wouldn't, until much later.  Test blows had no significant effect.  On one piano, I muted the string, since it was an outside string, and I would not see it again for a while.  On the other, I got it to pitch, or so I thought.  Since I would see it again (it's at my church), I didn't mute it, but figured I'd retouch it before it was used next.  And, of course, that note drifted noticeably.  The first piano was a spinet that hadn't been tuned in a while, and the second was a Steinway M that I have tuned fairly regularly, and have not experienced this problem before.

What did I do to cause that phenomenon (apparently on the Steinway, the problem is mine), and what can I do to fix it?

Thanks in advance for all the help available from this list.
Richard Morgan

Need Mail bonding?