Pin moves, pitch doesn't

J Patrick Draine jpdraine at gmail.com
Mon Apr 2 06:01:08 MDT 2007

Richard,
It's a common, although unpleasant phenomenon. No need to "blame
yourself" but a time to consider supplementary techniques.
The "cause" is excess friction in the string segments between the
tuning pin and the speaking length. In some cases this may involve
excessively high angles that the segments go through. Often it will be
friction against the understring felt.
Sometimes pushing against these segments (as well as the speaking
length) with a hammer shank may help equalize the tension. Sometimes
lifting the offending string with a string hook can help dislodge the
rust or buzz causing the hangup.
Some folks have found using Protek CPL or Prolube (the slightly
heavier viscosity fluid) on the underfelt, and sometimes the V-bar,
will reduce these problems. Just don't splash it around too much --
probably not good for bass string windings or the pinblock.
Patrick Draine