SV: Re: SV: Re: Steinway B Scale Conversion

Aras aras6310 at yahoo.se
Mon Apr 2 09:56:33 MDT 2007

Dale,

Wounded or wrapped - the same.
No, it shall be changed to two-chords and yes on the original bridge and the result will probably be better by changing the whole scale.

The reason that I personally would try this first, is that the change of the bridge is a dramatic change, though natural, but it could cause a fall in the economic value of the instrument if the customer later wants to sell it. Not because of of a bad repair or bad sound, but simply because it is not original, and if only the string scale is changed, it will not be that hard to change the piano back.

I agree that the B-scale is problematic. It is old fashioned and theoretically, looking at the scale construction this piano should sound really bad - like the bee who is not supposed to be able to fly (theoretically). But I like it anyway with a good set of hammers and nice voicing. There must be good reasons why so many pianists worldwide like this piano.

I will not talk about tone quality as it is like talking with blind people about colours, and as I said I do like the S&S B as it is, but I would really like to hear your the piano with the new bridge.

Best regards Aras.

Erwinspiano at aol.com skrev:       To Anonymous
     I notice you don't sign your posts.   May I politely ask ---Who are you? I prefer to know who I correspond  with.
    Please explain the highlighted part of your post  below.  It's not clear.  Do you mean wrapped string on the original  bridge placement.  If so I've done that with trichords which makes it  better but it's not enough & the tri-chords are  problematic.

   Regards
   Dale Erwin

anonymous writes
I    find it interesting to see the work some people here do by changing the bridge    on the B. The B scale is in terms of scale construction quite old fashioned    with the extreme shortening of the speaking lenghts towards the "breake" and    low tenor and that is the reason why it is so difficult to voice the piano in    that area.
Changing the tenor bridge is a way to smooth out this strange    construction. Rather brilliant actually.
What I wanted to say    is that you can do a similar thing by changing some of  the low tenor    steel with wound strings calculated to fit the old bass and the    tenor.
If for some reason the customer or a later customer    wants the original it is easy to bring it back.
Personally I do like this    grand piano.

See what's free at AOL.com.