SV: Re: Steinway B Scale Conversion

Erwinspiano at aol.com Erwinspiano at aol.com
Mon Apr 2 08:39:57 MDT 2007

To Anonymous
    I notice you don't sign your posts.   May I politely ask ---Who are you?
I prefer to know who I correspond  with.
   Please explain the highlighted part of your post  below.  It's not clear.
Do you mean wrapped string on the original  bridge placement.  If so I've
done that with trichords which makes it  better but it's not enough & the
tri-chords are  problematic.

  Regards
  Dale Erwin

anonymous writes
I  find it interesting to see the work some people here do by changing the
bridge  on the B. The B scale is in terms of scale construction quite old
fashioned  with the extreme shortening of the speaking lenghts towards the "breake"
and  low tenor and that is the reason why it is so difficult to voice the
piano in  that area.
Changing the tenor bridge is a way to smooth out this strange  construction.
Rather brilliant actually.
What I wanted to say  is that you can do a similar thing by changing some of
the low tenor  steel with wound strings calculated to fit the old bass and
the  tenor.
If for some reason the customer or a later customer  wants the original it is
easy to bring it back.
Personally I do like this  grand piano.