Pin moves, pitch doesn't

Andrew and Rebeca Anderson anrebe at sbcglobal.net
Mon Apr 2 12:53:27 MDT 2007

Dittos on the "right before the string broke" part.

Make sure the hammer is actually striking the string.  Reduce tension
drastically until the pitch does drop.  Bring back up to pitch.  If
problem is persistent in a section, treat the under felt-with Protek,
no spills on the pinblock or pins please.  In rusty pianos it is
advisable to drop pitch a little until you get a "click" before
pulling it up.  Where it is really rusty a very conservative
treatment with ProLube on the metal bearing points is advisable.

Good Luck,
Andrew