Ultimate Table Saw

Fenton Murray fmurray at cruzio.com
Mon Apr 2 22:51:41 MDT 2007

Hey Guys,
I'm way behind on looking at these posts so maybe this has been addressed. Kick back is the real killer with table saws, blade contact injuries are not as common. 2 things you have to have right, and a couple more safety issues and kick back risk is much less. This is easy stuff. 1. Blade parallel to fence. 2. Splitter in line with blade. Done, good to go. Now don't stand in line with blade, feed stock in a direction pointing towards the stock's contact with the fence adjacent to the blade. Let's add a sharp blade, with height set so gullets clear the stock. There is a complex rotational force placed on the stock as it passes the blade, the back of the blade picks it up and throws it at you at 120 mph. Not good. The splitter all but eliminates this from happening.
Fenton